Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 7 - of silencing the mind

Day 7 of 100 days of me

The whole purpose of this blog has started to become clear to me.  What began as a self defense approach to stop the negative foolishness I'd begun to succumb to, has evolved into a definite journey.  

In this first week I have come to the realization that the goal is to learn how to silence the mind.

In "the power of now",  Eckhart Tolle writes that we find true love, joy, and peace in the spaces between our stream of thought.  He writes that these gaps occur in rare moments, especially when the mind is rendered speechless. One of which is after extreme exertion.

I can guarantee that I have experienced this.  When I had completed the 95 kilometer bike ride in Muskoka, I was so unbelievably happy. Joy like I cannot describe.  It truly was a moment where the mind was speechless. All I was capable of was feeling that moment, and the pure joy I felt was overwhelming.

I know exactly what he is talking about, and I know how to get it back.... Will I remember this, is the challenge. How can I learn to turn that on, when I need to... To have the power to silence the mind.

The challenge for many of us is when we are alone we allow our minds to think what they wish, be it about some regret, some future dilemma, or a current problem. I love so many of the Facebook quotes from all different sources that encourage us to get through these challenges but wouldn't it be sweet if we became expert at turning that off.

No more would I invest any thought into why...  Such as why isn't he there, why aren't I good enough, why is my life this way, why "fill in the blank"....

In moments like these, I feel especially powerful, like I have a secret weapon against the evil in the world... :-) mostly just the evil in our minds.

If I can become an expert at silencing the mind, no more will I be bound by the rules of my mind, I will be free. Free to choose what I want with whomever I wish, with no doubt for the future.

Who ever thought that silence could teach you to fly.

Hannah adds a quote by ish - that it is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away... Let's enjoy them.




1 comment:

  1. Well said, Karen. I no longer ask why...pretty much never... Neil Simon summed it up:

    God only knows
    God makes his plan
    The information's unavailable
    To the mortal man...

    It happens that I am pretty sure God's plan is better than mine. You, however, are in much better physical condition than I am. :-) So, perhaps your approach has additional good side-effects that mine lacks.

    Gregory B.

    ReplyDelete