Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 13 of 100 - lucky to have the support

"Do as I say, and not as I do."

How often did our parents use this expression with us? I can remember questioning my mother who was a smoker when I grew up, why wasn't it okay for me to be a smoker also... the answer was very clear - she knew what was best for me and I was to do as she told me to do, not to question that, and not to follow in her footsteps.  I of course didn't listen, and when I was 13 started smoking cigarettes. All behind my mother's back (she likely knew but I was not being outwardly honest about it.)

I smoked Export A's for most of the summer and started highschool in September.  I remember showing up at the cross country running team first meeting, wearing blue jeans, and a jean jacket with a pack of cigarettes sticking out of the pocket.  The girls in the room stared at me.  I remember feeling like a total outcast (maybe all in my mind, maybe not).  Either way, I vowed to beat everyone of them in the field.  I gave up cigarettes and started running daily.  I did beat them... and my bad habit took to the wind...

As I am now in Lucky 13 of 100 days, I'd like to tell you I'm perfect, but I am not... so as I write what we should all be focusing on, and what we should live our lives by, I need to be very upfront about this - that I won't always be taking my own advice, following my own rules - we all should do as the advice says, best we can and not think that our own indescretions are a good enough reason to not listen.

On that note, I would like to take a moment to say how much I appreciate you for taking the time to read this, sharing your own advice and experiences from time to time, and simply being there.

It makes a difference to know you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment