Monday, August 25, 2014

Day 20 of 100. What is truly important

What's really important

Day 20 - 1/5th along this journey, and it's feeling good.  Time to do a quick reflection on what is most important about this journey, and why I even began it.  In short, this blog was begun to clear the mind of useless and invalid negativity over something that should never have carried that much weight.  If you are the kind of person who cares deeply about how other's feel and respond to you, then you likely have the same concerns.  It is important to continue to care, without turning it upon ourselves.  This is the trick.

In that, I can assure you I've made great strides.  I have found myself considering my feelings and reactions towards situations, with much greater scrutiny and am able to take the swings without feeling personnaly involved. It is the clarity that is most interesting at this time, this clear view of who I am, what I what, and what is important to me.

"At least three times a day, take a moment and ask yourself what is really important. have the wisdom and the courage to build your life around your answer" - Lee Jampolsky

What is really important?
Would we all say the same things ? Likely not...  but here is something to think about...

Many years ago, I was on a work trip to San Jose, and after I was completed the work, I rented a car and drove alone, first up the highway 1 to San Francisco, and then back down along the coastline all the way to Los Angeles.  I rented a hotel midway for the night and drove during the day.  The view was incredible.  The coast of California is high above the sea in many places, the view you have of the ocean is formidable.  As I would get out of the car and sit in the grass looking out at the ocean, there was no doubt in my mind of how "insignificant" I was in the grand scheme of things.  Any problems that I may have had in my life back home were nothing here.  Survival was the only thing that mattered here.  Eating, drinking, living, breathing.  That is it.  Pain would be not finding a meal.  Success would be sleeping in a safe place that night.  No money, object or person could replace the sense I had of being overwhelmed in our world, that we are specs of dust amongst the giants of nature.  I went back home, forever changed.

When I got home, I broke up with the guy I had been dating, as it was painful relationship, and no longer was I going to live with that kind of pain.  I stopped taking so many useless things so seriously - it wasn't worth it anymore.  Money is important to pay our bills and provide the things our families need, but it would never play a significant role for me.  Living became the most important thing to me.  Living and loving my life, my friends, my family, my relationships - raising my children, loving them no matter what the challenges, became important to me.

What is really important?

Being there for others.
Being true to yourself.
Surviving the world we are thrown into.
Loving every moment you've got.

Favourite Quotes:

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strenght to endure a difficult one". - Bruce Lee

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have" - Bob Marley


and a fun one by one of my favourite authors:

"Life is short. Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile" - Mark Twain



No comments:

Post a Comment