Thursday, August 7, 2014

Day 2 of 100 days of ME

Only day 2... buy only 98 days remain ;)

When you train to run a marathon, one of the first things that becomes apparent, is the way in which you break up the race in your mind. You break it down into manageable chucks and only focus on one chunk at a time.  This is the way you get through a race of this length.... On top of that, long before you start the race, you have already visualized finishing it.  You know the pain you will suffer, you see the finish line and you see yourself going across it. You plan how you will celebrate after you are done.  You visualize the medal you will receive and what you may begin to do after this goal is accomplished.

This morning as I got up, I already started visualizing the end of this 100 days.  I began to plan what the end would look like and the first things I would do when it was complete.  I even visualized how each day was a journey in itself and how quickly time would pass.

In essence I had used the athletic endurance skills I already have mastered to see the end of this journey making it easier and almost non existent.  This is the problem. I hope you can appreciate why this is a problem.

How do I learn to appreciate this time, if I have already (day 2!!) seen the end of it?

That is where another friend's advice comes in to save me.  The Power of NOW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now

A book by Eckhart Tolle, described to me by my friend as teaching one to live in the present in the moment, not investing anything into the past or the future.

I could use this book. I'll have to look for it.  I have a girlfriend who collects books and likely already has it (maybe she has given it to me and it is sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to absorb it :))

My friend explained that men live in the moment, they do what they want to do, now, in the present... whereas I spend far too much time thinking (thinking about the past or thinking about the future).

I need to live in the NOW.

Much easier said than done, but I will try.  The best I can do is give it a good old fashioned go... :)
Tomorrow I will try to live in the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment