Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 24 of 100 - leaving home

Travel to my home town is always a mixed journey of good and bad. To get here is a nine hour drive along a single lane highway, where construction in the summer stops lines of hundreds of vehicles for what feels like an eternity. Up ahead men open their car doors, step out and look out to get some appreciation for how much longer it may be.  When I arrive, my throat is raw from singing the top 500 of my favourite songs at full volume, my body shaking from the vibrations of the vehicle intermixed with two Pepsi and four coffees (was much worst when is drive my lada 12 hours from university in Montreal).  I stay up until after 11 catching up and visiting my family.  Kamikaze!

I love being here, the trees are abundant, the water fast and cold,  and the friends and family needed to bring me home in my heart.

But I would not wish to be single here. ..

No one goes out, the streets are quiet, and it seems that there are few opportunities for events and sports clubs with so few people.

People work long hard hours at the steel plant, shops or bars, exhausted and tired, go home to their uncomplicated (I hope)  lives and may never meet anyone outside of their immediate circles.

It sure was fun to go out and laugh and giggle over the funny girls and guys out shaking there thangs!

But I am spoiled in Ottawa, by the work opportunities, the sports clubs, the many clubs and dance halls, the social opportunities and the variety of choice.

I left my home town to join the military, to go to university,  to afford a home, to get a life. I do miss it here, but I could not stay here alone. I think it would be so hard to get by, but maybe, maybe I'd be the one to start the triathlon club that would make the difference, get people like me together.

I love you ssm, I am always sorry to leave you, you will always have a place in my heart but you know you have nothing for me here.

Tomorrow, I kiss you goodbye, till we see each other again....

No comments:

Post a Comment