Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Day 21 of 100 - Write your world and watch the possibilities open up to reality

I have always been very creative.  I love art, painting, singing, dancing, recording, writing, most especially writing.  When I was very young, as soon as I could put letters to paper, and paste photos from magazines, I began to make scrapbooks with stories in them.  I had diaries and would log daily thoughts about bullies, fun times with friends, and crushes on boys ;)

I began truly journaling when I was 18.  I went out and bought a blue notebook with a picture of a unicorn on the front and began to write about my experiences growing up, and how I felt about them.  This was especially important to me at that time, as I knew I wanted to have children one day, and I also knew that as I grew up my mind set towards life would change and I wanted to be sure that I never forgot how I thought as a teen.  The first page began as "to my future children..."  Funny!! I wrote about how I felt about sex, marriage, love, life, and what was most meaningful to me.  I wanted my "future children" to know the mindset I had as a teen so they couldn't tell me as their mom, that I was an adult and didn't understand.  Isn't that strange that as an 18 year old, this was important to me?



I was surprised, reading back at those notes, how I have really have not changed a bit.  The things I believed in then are very similar to now, with obvious experience and further wisdom mixed in ;)

I have continued to write for years, but my writing took a special turn a number of years ago when I found the following book which made a very big impact in my life:  The Artist's Way.  It works on the premise of three main activities you must follow: a) you must write a 3 page journal log every day; b) you must take an "artist date" - just you alone, once per week, to experience something you love; and c) you must get out and do a walk of 20 minutes, again, alone, once per week to experience the thoughts and ideas that will come to you on this journey.


It worked.  I was making lists of everything I wanted to accomplish and to date, with exception to completing a novel, I've accomplished everything I wrote down.  Now I do miss many days, but I write every weekend, and I do attempt to write a few times per week - busy days and nights with the excess training have kept me from my goals to do the pages... perhaps that is a problem right away to be fixed as soon as possible.  When a system works for you, you should really keep it as a top priority.

The best thing about Art in any form, and being creative, is how much satisfaction it gives you to give life to something you designed and produced, all yourself.

Sometimes the Art you create is in yourself.  You make yourself the person you would be proud of, you carry on in activities that give you great satisfaction and make life worthwhile. This too, is creativity.

I believe if you take the time to write out your dreams, your vision, your ideals - it is only a matter of time before they become your world.  So sit tonight... and take the time to write.  Don't put that pen down, even if you draw a blank... write that you cannot think of anything more... in no time the brain is unblocked, the words will flow, and the real truths of who you are, who you wish to be, and what you need to accomplish will become reality.


"Art is never finished, only abandoned" - Leonardo de Vinci

"Art enables us to find ourselves, and lose ourselves at the same time" - Thomas Merton

“If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced” – Vincent Van Gogh






No comments:

Post a Comment