Monday, September 1, 2014

Day 27 of 100 days of Me - Love

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day.  I truly couldn't have asked for a more wonderful day.  I got much work done, but certainly not all.  Not sure I'll ever do everything on my wish list :)

I spent good quality time with people I love.  I am about to go do my run workout, shower and get a great nights sleep.  Yet, still, I have a sadness inside, though in a really tender way.  Not in a depressed, unhappy sense, but a quiet, somber, solitude that wants slow easy music, soft clothing, and sweet thoughts of love for life, and other humans.... both present and future - not a moment of this is being spent in the past - that I won't allow, it would not bring any value to this feeling.

I am likely excessively tired from travelling all yesterday, getting back from my home town.  A very long arduous journey to get back to Ottawa, arriving late and tired, completely overdosed on caffeine.

In the background I, of course am compelled to listen to the the slowest, sweetest songs that I've loved FOREVER

'Like a lover, like a song' by April Wine:

"Cause I want to live, if I have to die"....

'Love of a lifetime' by Firehouse:

"We'll make a wish and send it on a prayer, We know our dreams will all come true, With love that we can share"....

'Dust in the Wind' by Kansas:

"Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky, It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy"...

So that brings me to what I'll write about today. Love.  I've seen so much on the internet, lovely postings of thoughts, quotes and ideals.  I thought I'd take a moment to share some thoughts I have on this overwhelming emotion.



I don't believe love is patient, kind, does not envy or boast... etc...  that poem is pretty but I do not relate to it and I think it sets people up for failure.

I don't believe love is a special bond between two people only, soulmates for life...  it would be quite sweet, wouldn't it, to find a soulmate for life, but I think we can love many over the course of our lives - choosing to be faithful and exclusive to one, is a choice, not a state, in my mind.  I think you can consider someone to be a soulmate, especially when you are so in tune with them, have so much in common, and feel you share a special bond that no other could possibly have - but if they were to go away - it would not mean the end of love for you, nor the impossibility of finding another soulmate... that is where I have most trouble with the expression.

I think the best definition for me, of love, is "an intense feeling of deep affection".  Where affection is a feeling that binds you to a another person, thing, cause, ideal, or the like; a devotion; or a regard for something.

So if I am in love with some THING, I will feel an attachment to it that binds me in some way - loving food, places, sports, and other items where I don't want to be without them.

I feel love for a human the same way - there is an attachment there that I don't ever want to lose.  I become bonded to them and it doesn't matter what flaws they may have, nor what mistakes they make, the bond is secure - but never unconditionally.  That too, is false in my world - there is no unconditional love - you can easily break the bond if you hurt me.  It may take a while, I may forgive too long, and too much but inevitably it is not unconditional.  This sentiment applies to my children too.  Respect and care for each other, are paramount to maintain the bonds of love between us.

I guess that is why I find it so easy to say loving someone means giving them freedom.  I feel true love comes hand in hand with respect and consideration.  Anything else is not love, but possession, obsession, and fantasy.... is it not?

"I absolutely love the way I feel when I hear your voice, when you speak to me, when I think of you.  I cannot help but smile, and it brings upon me a warmth that would stop all cold from having any affect. This is a feeling I never want to be without, and for that, I always want you near to me." - I believe that is true love. The kind that is worth being patient for, being understanding towards, and giving your heart to.


Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

“When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. “
Famous Shakespeare love quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene II.

No comments:

Post a Comment