Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 30 of 100 - the race begins

Today is nearly 1/3 of the way through the 100 days.  I am going to be slightly distracted from the blog - of course not from my goals :) - for a few days as I head to Muskoka to do the 1/2 Ironman this weekend.  It is completely surreal that I'm even here.  I signed up for this race last November after talking to a friend about how exciting it would be to do the 1/2 Ironman triathlon.  Since I had completed the Olympic Triathlon (1/2 the distance on each of run and bike, but swim is 1500m)  I knew with some training I'd be able to finish.  I know I've done more than accomplished finishing.  I'll finish well.  I could place in my age group if the day goes well.  I expect to be in the top 20 in my age group, and I'd really like to be in top 10... so exciting!!


The race will begin Sunday morning with a 2km swim (I am hoping to finish under 40 minutes), then I jump on the bike and go 95km (should be well under 4 hours), then I throw off bike shoes and put on running shoes and run a half marathon (sub 2 hours)...


I wasn't sure if I'd find enough time during the week with work, children and other priorities to get to the pool, get on the bike and get the running in.  It really wasn't as difficult as I thought once I got the momentum and consistency going (VERY DIFFICULT AT FIRST).  It took the full year to get myself on track to fit all the different workouts in.  I did have to do almost all of them alone.  This is mostly because with an ever changing schedule it is hard to get people last minute to do a 1 hour workout with you.  Going alone may have been intimidating at first but I do love it now.


I did find a number of people through this journey who have supported me and joined in with me in my training goals.  I never feel alone, as I can always write them before or afterwards and talk about how the training is going.  I really appreciate them in my life.

Here we go folks.
The hard work now completed.  The race begins ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment