Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 33 of 100 - the goal

The morning after you've accomplished a goal can be a bit depressing for some people.  This is not normally the case for me as I always have a new plan.

The race yesterday was phenomenal for me. It proved to me that my training plan and nutrition plan worked. You can't cheat on a 6 hour race and come out on top.

My life didn't sacrifice all that much either. My children didn't suffer, I didn't have sick days at work, nor fall behind, although household chores likely did suffer...  I still went out, stayed up late plenty, and have had great times.

I tell thus to all those worried about the sacrifice it takes to do a race of this nature. It does take sacrifice..  But not so much that you feel you miss out. I'm loving my life. It is very well balanced.

The race itself began with the 2km swim. Water was 65 degrees but I was very warm and comfortable in my wet suit. I beat my best race times in this swim, coming under 2 min per 100 m. Thanks to my coach at the Kanata Surfers masters club, my swim was strong.

The 94km bike was beautiful and a fun ride.  A group of us stayed together for the most part throughout the ride.  Very fun fast downhills and at least 4 incredibly challenging uphills. Some athletes were walking them.  I averaged 27km/h on this very challenging course. Incredible really.

The run was what blew my mind. I was strong from the start. I got my legs back (they are wobbly getting off the bike) within the first km and felt strong and light. Kept my cadence high, singing songs that made me happy and had that 90 to 110 bpm. Trying to keep a friend's advice, I didn't try to go fast, I tried only to stay steady and rhythmic. It was a hilly, tough course and I ran it as though I hadn't done a 94km bike before it. It was a strong pace overall and it put me well into the top 10 in my division.  78th of all women in the race.  Very proud.

There was many times I painfully thought about how in the full Ironman next year I have to double this race... But due to the success of it, there was no doubt I can.

Next goal: full Ironman Aug 30 Muskoka.

I need to do even better, to qualify for world championship in Kona, Hawaii.

My favourite quote:

It will hurt
It will take time
It will require dedication
It will require willpower
You will need to make healthy decisions
It requires sacrifice
You will need to push your body to its max
There will be temptation
But I promise you, when you reach your goals
It's worth it.

P. S.  I have to smile as this quote completely applies to finding the right man for me, too!

Single minded 2/3rd of the way to go to 100 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment