Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 42 - mindfulness

I woke up this morning to the ted talks video 10 min of mindfulness. My girlfriend had posted it on my Facebook wall as a little gift for me. So many elements of the speaker resonated with every thing I've been trying to accomplish these past weeks.

The Challenge: For 10 minutes each day spend the time doing nothing. Really nothing.

I tried it tonight.  I sat down on my hotel room floor (yes ew gross)  crossed my legs, and did nothing.

I had set my timer to ring in 10 minutes time.

It wasn't difficult to sit and do nothing, although this is rare for me. No texting, no Facebook, no Internet, no music, no reading, no writing.

I did start to think about work. About friends. About life. I really tried to silence the thoughts and nearly fell asleep. Then the timer went off.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right. Didn't truly meditate. I didn't really live purely on the moment but I'm quite sure with appropriate practice I could do it. I'm going to continue to try.

Training involved for mindfulness is so available to us through books, meditation classes, even you tube.

We only need to accept it as important.

As I sit here having a Merlot, the end of an excellent day, I think it's an investment I'm willing to give a go to.

I can use the peace of mind.

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment