Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 49 - The Bike

I completely remember my first bike.  Learning to ride it.  Likely because my mom took a photograph, and seeing it over the years, helped me to remember that moment.   I think we may have been at Bellevue Park.  The details I do not remember.  I had someone, likely my mom or dad, holding the back of my seat as I tried to balance on those nasty two wheels!  How difficult.  It didn't come naturally.  Training wheels were put on in the meantime so I could get used to the feel of it without falling over. 

On Church St., where we grew up where three boys who lived down the road from me and were my best friends.  Some friends! They teased the heck out of me for having those training wheels, but I loved the bike.  I loved to go fast.  I love the feel of the wind in my hair - I still do!

Eventually the training wheels came off and I had my first major biking accident - problem was, I was not the one driving and this is not how one should bike.  We were camping at Pancake Bay on lake Superior, and I had met a new friend who was biking along the paved roads leading in and out of the campsites.  We liked to double ride, so I jumped on the back of the bike and placed my feet on the sides of the bike frame near the back tire.  As we went along, something went wrong and my left foot slipped off of the frame and INTO the spokes of the back tire.  The bike came to a screeching halt throwing us both and my ankle was a cut and bleeding mess.  Likely needed stitches but old fashioned mindsets and too far a drive to the hospital meant my ankle was wrapped and I sat with it up for the rest of the vacation.  I still have the aweful scar to prove how stupid that was.

I remember often biking around the city, I always had a bike but I again, was not a competitor and didn't even know that there was such a thing as a bike race.  Even going to university in Montreal I can remember going for bike rides with my boyfriend around the island.  Loved this time together.  Gave me the confidence that I would need later, when the triathlon sport would call me to get back on the bike.

As soon as I realized my swim times were competitive, and my run times were also strong, I had decided in my mind I need a REALLY Good bike to be competitive on.  I have never spent so much money on such a vehicle but I felt it was important if I was going to take this racing seriously.  I love my Cervelo.  It is a dream to ride.  The smooth gears, lightweight frame and tri bars to rest on for the long distances is a great ride.

In fact, I've come to love riding my bike more than any of the other sports.  I could cycle all the time, I love it that much.  Most especially the hills, going up may be a challenge but coming back down is SO much fun!!!

Next on the list is to improve my cycling on the hills and get up to a distance of 180km with ease for the full Ironman distance.  Will not be easy, but most certainly will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment