Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 46 of 100 - Home



I sat there, propped up high in the chair, having my hair trimmed by a lovely Asian woman, who's english was broken but clear.  She was exceptionally friendly and began to tell me some of her stories, and explain to me the differences between herself and her very good friend.  Both of them were not in relationships, the difference was her friend was very social, went out a lot, and felt very lonely at home.

She, on the other hand, called herself a "homebody", didn't go out very much and loved being home.  She said that the reason you don't like being home alone is because you've been out being social.  She explained, that if you don't want to feel alone at home, you need to stay home alone more often, and enjoy MAKING a home out of it. 




This was quite interesting to me as I have definitely had that sensation.  So for background, I need to explain that I absolutely love being alone.  I love to sew, read, write, paint, draw, clean, organize, research, create, sleep... I have so much to do at my home, when I'm alone.  I could never be bored. 




Yet, if I've been out having a couple drinks with friends, I get home and I'm anxious.  Friends know that this is when I text them, because I need their company.  She is right.  We psychologically get excited by the social environment we were in, and do not enjoy the sudden emptiness of our home when the party is over.

If we take the time to love our homes, make them a space we love being in, doesn't that make it easier to accept once we get home.  She explained that one needs to go home more often, spend time at home, to be well in it alone.

I had never reflected on that before.  Makes excellent sense to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment