Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Day 78 - 22 days to go - Be Brave


Cpl Nathan Frank Cirillo.

Instagram media by ncitaly - #selfiesunday #cuties #germanshepard #belgiumshepard

“There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.

But sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life.

That is the sort of bravery I must have now.”
― Veronica Roth, Allegiant

Hard to start a blog today and not mention his name.  He gave his life today for our freedom - no, actually, that isn't quite the truth of the situation - but he WOULD have. Instead his life was robbed from him by an extremist who also, is no longer living.  The point is at a loss to me.  Yes, I do understand politics, military affairs, extremist views and war, and yet, I still find the entire situation pointless, and without gain for anyone. It makes me very upset.

I learned to march to the same military drum.  I have worn those combats, and carried those rifles.  I know what it means to stand in defense, to represent your country and to be ready to die honourably.  I would sign up and do it all again.  I tried to explain to my young daughter tonight what happened today and why.  I explained the best I could about ISIS, extremism, and what occurred here in Ottawa today.  I tried to NOT instill fear, nor anxiety but a sense of pride, strength and preparation to stand tall and fight, should the call come to us.  She was very upset, as every one of us should be.

I told her his name.  Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo.  I told her it was important to remember his name.  He represents those that are our brave, follow their orders, stand up for duty, and fight every day for our freedom.  We don't always know their names but our lives depend on the efforts of those men and women.  Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you.

I explained to her that I do not believe we should "mind our own business" and ignore other countries impacted and affected by extremism, dictatorships and other harmful political states. I believe as a global unity, we must stand together and protect democracy and freedom, despite it's own flaws and corruptibility.

Every human should have the opportunity to have the freedom you and I take for granted, each and every day.

On a day like today, my personal needs are nothing.  I am nothing.  After today, each and every one of us should be ready to be brave, do the right thing, to stand up for all freedoms and ensure the people running our country are prepared and have the funding support, to prevent religious extremism in any fashion from making it's way into impacting and affecting our lives.

As she comes to deal with our world and the differences between all of us, she tells me "Mom, there are no bad people, and no bad religions, only bad actions".    Although it isn't always true, I think she has an open minded and fair view of things. I'm proud of her.

Be brave Canada.
xo

“Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.”
― Oprah Winfrey

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones





No comments:

Post a Comment