Tuesday, October 28, 2014

16 days remain - 84 days of 100 - WHEN not IF.



When I graduate I'll find the job of my dreams
If I graduate, I'll find the job of my dreams

When I have saved 2000 dollars, I'm going to book a trip to Greece
If I have saved 2000 dollars, I'm going to book a trip to Greece

When we get together next, I will show you how much you mean to me
If we get together next, I will show you how much you mean to me

Which of these will actually take place? 

The ones where I said "when"? 
Or those where I said "if"? 

I think "When" implies the will and only lacks the timing, whereas "If" implies that regardless of time, it may NOT happen. There is doubt in the "if" statement.

The quote I saw today (posted below) stated to invest in those people who refer to "when" in a relationship.  If they are using "If" statements, then they are not truly sure about you.


To clarify the BBC writes, "If it is uncertain that something has happened or will happen, we have to use if:
  • He'll be here soon, if he caught the 1.30 train.
  • If I manage to get to Argentina next year, I'll come and visit you."
If it is certain that something has happened, is happening or will happen, we have to use when:
  • When I arrived back home, Sandra was no longer there.
  • You can have a drink when we get to Julie's place. Not now, when you're driving.

So, certainty defines those things that are sure to occur.

If we aren't sure, isn't that enough room for allowing our dreams to NOT come true ?

Use WHEN not IF for all circumstances where you want something to come true.  It is the only way to ensure that it will actually happen. ;)














No comments:

Post a Comment