Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 56 of 100 - Life is short

Sunday, July 27th two men under the age of 40 were together, a very normal, typical day for them, driving along Carling avenue. The sky was overcast and grey, but the roads were clear and dry, and there was little traffic to worry about.  As they approached the March road T in the road, they slowed to a stop at the red light.  Laughing about the day ahead they didn't notice the Nissan speeding towards them on March road.  They likely would not have had the opportunity to change their fate, even if they had noticed.  The Nissan, at full speed, attempted to turn right at the very corner the two men were stopped at.  The Nissan hit the curb, flipped in the air, and landed directly on top of the two men in their vehicle. They were crushed immediately.  Their lives disappeared forever.

On Thursday of this week, co-workers and I were driving down a normal road, slowing to turn right at an intersection, when a reckless driver, speeding and driving sporadically, smashed into the back of our vehicle.  Just like that.

I suffered only a concussion - only... it may have long term consequences - but if you know me at all, you know I've already begun the self talk that there is no way, this is going to affect me.  :)  I'm going to heal up quickly and this is going to be my past, not my future.

The point I note, is that I could have easily died there, as easily as the two men did in July.

We never know when our time is up.  We will never be able to predict how long we'll have here - so for my part, I'm appreciating every day.  We may only have one more.

I've been laying in bed mostly these last few days, letting the ol' brain heal up.  I've been rarely on the internet, texting, reading or anything that I love ;)  I'm cheating a bit more today to get some of these blogs up.  I'll be writing double time this week to get caught up to the actual number of days I should be at.

Life is short.  I lost my cousin, whom I loved immensely, to a car accident, when she was only 30.  I was pregnant with my son at the time whom I named after her.

So what do we do differently? Be careful now, not too much, as we may live a very long time, and we would be foolish to do anything that would jeopardize the longevity of the life we will inevitably lead, but let's not put off too long, the things or people we love.  Do not ignore those dreams until next year.  Next year may not come. Life, Love, Laugh... Now.

Dylan Thomas - Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment