Monday, October 27, 2014

17 days remain - day 83 of 100 - The Mix

Harry Kerr - My dad


I was introduced to a very interesting book many years ago, about how important the first 5 years of a child's life is, and how affected they are during that time by the love of their parents.  I think we are molded into the kind of people we will inevitably become, by the way our parents loved us as babies.  We learn early on to trust other humans, to know what having faith in other's feels like and to be reliant on the love of the parent caring for you.  I was born in Vancouver, BC and was no doubt loved very much by both of my parents. Although they didn't stay together longer than a year after my birth I believe the love I was brought into the world in, created the environment for me to know and trust love today.

My parents lived together in Whiterock and had a large fluffy dog at home.  I was born into a world that was very much at peace, and artists like CCR, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley where thriving. The environment consisted of the ocean air of Vancouver, bridged by the immense and gorgeous mountain ranges which I believe has made me a salt water child, who to this day feels very much at home, and at peace when I'm at the ocean side.  I love the waves and the salty air.  It brings about a happiness I simply can't describe.







My father was a strong willed Scot, who always believed his mother was part Iroquois (I love the romance of this story, but through years of genealogy research I've never been able to prove this story correct.  His mom was a Lalonde from Quebec, quite French indeed, with a mom who was a Richardson of Glengarry county... not any sign of any Indian blood whatsoever).  I'll still go around saying I am for the shear fun of it.

Diane Bodley - My mom
On my mother's side there is the English of the Bodley's - the first to start the Oxford Library in England, with the French of the Lachappelle's, the Irish of the Downings, and the German of the Andrews, her Grandfather's line.  My mother was the one who taught me to have pride, integrity, respect for yourself, and generosity.  She is a fierce defender of women's rights and freedom of people to choose their lives, their religion, and their loves.  She ended up marrying another Scotsman who raised me to know what hardwork, discipline, loyalty and dedication really meant.

All that to say, it's little wonder we behave the way we do when we've got that kind of genetic material in our makeup.  Irish, German, Scottish, French, English and adopted Canadian Iroquois.

Little wonder indeed. :)  I love being Canadian.  I'm very proud to be the Mix that I am.  It is using the best qualities of each, that helps us survive our battles, and accomplish our goals.



Great quotes I found online:








No comments:

Post a Comment