Wednesday, November 5, 2014

8 days remain - 92 days of 100 - Top 10 Countdown

Top 10 Countdown - #8: Silencing the mind, finding positive influences, music, people and activities



Change your thoughts and you'll change your own world. Silence your mind and you'll never need to worry again about those complicated, negative thoughts.

The moment that I began thinking anything that went against a positive, upbeat and complimentary approach, I'd stop myself in my tracks.  I won't allow it.  There are a few songs I have in hand, that as soon as I started to feel negative, I'd put on, and they would redirect me immediately.  Our lives are far too short to sit and wallow in misery, to even feel sad, not good enough or disappointed in life... far too short.

I too, have been so lucky to have found friends that I could write and tell them I was feeling down that I needed them to pick me up and immediately they would do exactly that.

You need to have handy great music that will remind you how good life is.
You need to have friends you can write, who'll be there for you, write you back and remind you what is important.

Then you are alone, and there isn't anyone around to talk to.  What then? Then you need activities, those things you love to do alone that will cheer you up, make you feel alive and satisfied.

Write
Draw
Paint
Sing
Play an instrument
Play games
Run
Walk
Bike
Love your children
Love your family
Take care of a stranger
DO SOMETHING....

There is always something. There is also the silence.

Find a way to love the silence. Meditate.  Find a place quiet and alone.  Set a timer for 10 minutes, close your eyes and think of nothing.  Ideas will come. Tell them no.  Stress will try to seep in. Tell it no.  There is time to think later, time to stress anytime... now, right now, you will think of nothing but peace. Smell the air, breathe slowly.  Know that you are okay. All is going to be okay.

There have been times in the last year that I was so overwhelmed and sad... sad for loss, sad that things were not going to go my way in life.  But I found that living through them, experiencing these moments were far more valuable to me, than missing them altogether.  I won't shy away from pain.  I won't be afraid of loss.  Silence the mind and walk forward... the world is balanced, and there is far more happiness to be gained from those experiences than the pain that could come....

"Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive" - Counting Stars

Lesson learned:  Being silent and alone is the best time to truly know yourself, and know what you want in life.  Don't be afraid to spend time with yourself.  Music is your best friend, and will speak to you in ways no one ever can - have the best songs on hand to lift you up, get involved in activities that you love, and don't ever think you are lonely - there is always a friend out there who loves you.  Just say the word, they'll be there.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment