Monday, November 10, 2014

4 days remain - 96 days of 100 - The Music Inspires

I feel a little bit like The Count as I create these blog pages... "...FOUR!, FOUR! pages remain... bah ha ha ha ha.... "

If you do not know The Count von Count, you have been isolated too long, brought up in another country, or were just born.  Anyone from my era, my province, knows who this famous and sexy cartoon man is. :) Yes, I am getting old and slightly ridiculous in the process...

Lesson #7 Is the gift of music



Without music, I'm not sure I would have survived so many times in life.  A simple song gave me so much power to progress, improve, fight harder, try more, believe in love, believe in a future... I can't imagine a world without music - although our ancesters did exist with it only coming from their Sundays in Church - no wonder they loved to attend faithfully ;)

In fact, I began my own music career singing in St. Gabriel's Parish here in Ottawa, a cappella, songs for the congregation there at the Saturday night mass.  I sang because I loved it. I sang because I hoped it made people happy and more complete.  One day a couple came up to me and asked me if I would sing with them in their three part harmony group.  I ecstatically agreed, and had some of the very best musical experiences ever with two people who became family to me.   It began the years of singing that I've continued to love.

It is music with a deep beat (You know it's all about that Bass...), great harmonies, beautiful melodies and lyrics that tap into my soul, that I love the most.

When I was 17 I left home and lived with friends for a time, to finish high school and get out of bad situation.  I needed very much to get back on track, get back to a real home (good, bad or whatnot), apply to university, to leave that city that I dearly loved, to achieve a better life for me. I didn't want to go back to that house, but one night while sitting there listening to the Much Music videos, the song "Try" by Blue Rodeo came on.  I still cry inside when I hear that song.  It really is all about me (I know you think it was written by them for someone else, but I'm here to correct you ;)).  Jim Cuddy was talking specifically to me when he sang:

So many people said
Girl you've got nothing but time
You are a shining star
Don't worry about what you're leaving behind.
Every time you walk in the room
I couldn't ever be sure of a smile
You were never the same way twice,
I'm falling in love
Oh, night after night - oh it's crazy...

Oh you got to try, try, try.

With his words I moved back home, and I tried hard to survive it just long enough to get into university, get a scholarship with the military and be off to Montreal to attend McGill.  It was tough, but I truly don't know that I would have walked that road, without that song! Is that not crazy? Maybe, but it is the music that inspires me to go on.

No matter how difficult and challenging life got for me, especially in bad relationships and in bad circumstances the haunting and beauty of the lyrics of "the Rose" continued to inspire me to be better, to give more, to be open to the journey, as it was going to get better - mostly to have NO FEAR:

It's the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance.
It's the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance.
It's the one who won't be taken,
Who cannot seem to give,
And the soul afraid of dyin'
That never learns to live.

There are great songs from so many different eras, by many great artists that inspire strength and surviving your tough times - a VERY short list of some of my favourites: "Can't Hurry Love", by the Supremes (or Phil Collins);"Survivor" by Destiny's Child (Featuring Da Brat); "Hero" by Mariah Carey; "Let It Be" by the Beatles; "Lean on Me" written by Bill Withers (some great newer recordings of this one); "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera; "Blowin in The Wind" by Bob Dylan; or "Bring me to Life" by Evanescence...

So on hard days, on tough days, there is likely a song that will inspire you, and give you the hope and strength you need to not fret the moment, but live on and believe in yourself.  For me, over these last weeks, it has been "Crazy Girl" by Eli Young Band.  In my imagination, the man of my dreams is right here in front of me, singing this song to me, telling me I've got nothing in this world to be concerned over - because he loves me... and I believe him, truly.  xo

Crazy girl, don't you know that I love you? 
And I wouldn't dream of goin' nowhere 
Silly woman, come here, let me hold you 
Have I told you lately? 
I love you like crazy, girl



No comments:

Post a Comment