Saturday, January 22, 2022

A Marathon Journey to save my life - Day 2 (Motivation and Goals)





Motivation and goals.  This is the key to all success.  We must have a point of reference we wish to move towards and we must have motivation to actually move.  

I've attended many training courses in leadership throughout my career, to be taught how to motivate. What are the keys to driving motivation? The theories are plentiful... so many websites and sources of education in the matter. In the end... each human has their own background and their own complex needs that may, or may not be ready to be motivated to your cause.  

One must be ready. How do you SHOW you are ready? You must state your ultimate GOAL.  Eating better, losing weight, new career, starting a new job, taking on something different, learning a new skill.  Whatever it may be that you desire... you must state it. Black and White. Clear.  

GOAL: to complete the marathon this year.


So I've said I'm ready.  Saying you are ready is the very first step. ACKNOWLEDGE the goal.  I'm ready to be motivated to train.  To get to that physical fitness level that would allow me to move my body for 4 to 5 hours and pass 42 kilometers of trees and space.  ACTUALLY getting outside or even UP off the couch/chair/work office to go and DO it - is an altogether different challenge.

This is where Motivation needs to step in, and get the job done.  Last night I watched Joan Benoit Samuelson's Masterclass and she has a great public article on "the first steps".  One way we find motivation for ourselves is to break the big goal up into achievable chunks.  I work backwards from the goal to do this.  

First I needed to pick when the goal would take place. I needed a reasonable time frame to get there.  So I got onto the internet and searched for a marathon that looked interesting. Part of motivation to achieve a goal is that the goal is Worthwhile.  You'll lose track of achieving any goal that isn't rewarding in some way. 


I found a marathon in Prince Edward Island that runs along the coast then down to charlottetown through beautiful countryside and terrain.  I love this island.  I will be so happy to run along this path.  Okay! The date is at my birthday, Oct 14th 2022.  Definitely enough time to train for it and have my heart and legs ready to perform... if I can get motivated now :)

So then, if I sit here thinking I've got until October... then I really don't have to move yet do I? OR do I? Without breaking this goal up into achievable chunks, trust me... I'd stay in bed this morning.




So here is how I'm breaking it down.  If I'm going to run 42KM by October... I'll need to run 21KM 1/2 way.  Half way to October is End May.  Perfect timing for me, as Ottawa has a Race Weekend end May.  I'll do the 1/2 marathon there to ensure I'm 1/2 way trained.

  1. Jan 
  2. Feb
  3. Mar
  4. Apr 
  5. May - End may 1/2 Marathon
  6. Jun
  7. Jul
  8. Aug
  9. Sep
  10. Oct - Marathon on 14th
So ... keep breaking your goal down, as even end May... seems like a long ways from this cold January morning. To run a 21KM in May, I really need to get to 10KM by March.  Then that extends to 5KM by February.  That would mean by end Jan, next week... I should be able to move for 2.5KM.  

  1. Jan - 2.5KM
  2. Feb - 5KM
  3. Mar - 10KM
  4. Apr 
  5. May - End may 1/2 Marathon
Now we can even break that down further if we still think we have time...

Jan 22 - 300M
Jan 23 - 600M
Jan 24
Jan 25 - 1.2KM
Jan 26
Jan 27
Jan 28
Jan 29
Jan 30 - 2.5 KM

See how today... I really should go out for a walk for 300M? Now for you fitbit/apple watch folks, each step is approximately .762 Meters.  That is roughly 393 steps.  Many of you try to achieve 10,000 steps per day - that equates to 7.6KM! you're almost at the March goal :)



I think I can commit to go out today or walk around the house until my watch tells me I'm well over 400 steps.  Each day I need to go 300 steps further - I do think I can do this.  See how breaking it down makes it easier to achieve AND motivates you to start?

WE MUST break our goals down into daily chunks... small things we are able to get ourselves to DO. 

This is the key to success.  Some days knowing what we need to do will not be enough.  There are plenty of supports on moving forward. This article is great for tips on how to keep moving. 

Let me know how you are going to break down your goals.  Together, we can keep each other on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment