Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The first run = Post 2 of broken woman becoming an Iron man

I didn't want to go.
I really didn't.
In fact I had successfully spent the late afternoon napping, as I wasn't feeling well, and only got up when Gilles got home and made me dinner, and had a glass of my new favourite mix of red wine with carbonated water - super tasty, light, and low in carbs.  I was sure I wasn't going to go today and even Gilles gave me the blessing to wait and go tomorrow. So it was okay.  I don't like to work out after having a drink.  But - I had written that I would, and I'm really not comfortable letting anyone down.  I knew you were reading. I knew you were waiting to hear how it went, so I went.  I bought these really comfy shoes online before my surgery and I chose those today to keep my feet happy.

I also wore my Army 5K run shirt to inspire me to move forward... there any many that suffer way more.  Off I went.

It was terrible to start.  I felt heavy and weak... but the first step was to walk. Walk for 2 minutes.. so I did.  I wore my Garmin Watch, and also attached my heart monitor.  I walked until the two minutes was up and then hit the lap button and began a stride that should have looked like running.  I was a great runner in the past, so I do know what to do.. but my hips, quads and shins weren't too happy about this movement... only 1 minute.  I kept going.

Then the minute was up and I was allowed a 2 minute walk - THANK GOD.  Phew! tired already.  I have read so much about fitness I began to remind myself of all the little things I have learned.  I reminded myself to go slow.  It is important when the body is ramping up in fitness to have a heart monitor.  WATCH it. Rich Ross states to stay under 140 BPM and I completely agree.  I think this applies to anyone, however, going and having your threshold determined by an expert is a good idea if you are just starting out.  Know what your heart rate zones are as determined by your age and level of fitness.  A good article to start with is here: How to Calculate your Heart Rate Zones

So I'm watching my Garmin and seeing I'm getting upwards of 145BPM when I was running. SLOW DOWN I told myself.  Which when you are starting feels like you might as well walk because any movement that feels like a run throws your heart rate up.. It is important in this phase to be very disciplined. This way you won't get injured.  I want to do a marathon in 6 months... I can't afford to get injured from ramping up too fast and overdoing it.  If you've never ran before you definitely are at risk. Take your time. Slow down.

Another 1 minute run, and I continue to concentrate on form...lean forward, kick heals towards butt, pelvis forward, arms not swinging outside of body line.  I feel okay but my hips are aching and I'm very heavy, my heart rate edging over 140 every time... so I keep breathing and saying to myself, slow.. easy and slow...  The muscles in our bodies need both oxygen and glycogen to operate.  If we have not moved like this before, your blood system will not be efficient.. this is why the heart beats so fast... it is trying desperately to get these two things through to those moving muscles.  Go slowly, breath deeply, trust the system.   In a few weeks this will be easier, for all of us.  Patience truly is a virtue.

Ten times of this and I'm done.  I did it.  My first outing, a 30 minute very easy walk 2 minute, run(practically a walk because my heart rate kept jumping) 1 minute... it was fun.  I have no regrets starting this.  I walked and jogged down roads in my neighbourhood I don't normally go down.  I waved to neighbours, ran by Lisa's old house (thinking of you!) and ENJOYED it.  So important to appreciate this time to yourself.

Once home I took a shower and made myself my new favourite recovery drink: Rice milk, dates, coconut, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger.  Super yummy and very effective in helping our cells cope with what we just did to them.

\Yes! one baby step towards the dream xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Love you my beautiful sister you’re an amazing example to follow, I’m so very proud of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete