Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Angels do live among us...


I went to the cemetery the other night to say good night to Nelia. It was late, and quite dark but the cemetery security led me to her plot and was kind enough to let me stay there alone awhile to speak with her.  After he drove away it was very dark.  I was barely able to see her tombstone so I took my cell phone and took a picture of it with the flash on.  Then I took pictures of the flowers surrounding the plot.  She would have loved them, they were so gorgeous, full of beautiful colours, and they smelled beautiful, full of lovely memories...  The dirt in front was very soft and fresh and I ran my fingers through it.  I drew a heart in the soil and softly cried, telling her how sad it was to not be able to see her.  I was equally sad for Greg who had been given no choice but to see her off to her next destination... He loved her so much, and I cannot imagine how difficult each step must be, to find a way to trek through this life, in a whole new way, without her.  This made me cry even harder.  I asked her outright (and outloud) "Was it worth it Nelia??", "Did you find what you were sure to find?? Are you really happy now where you are "?  Without any hesitation, the entire graveyard lit up.  I sat back up and gasped, as I had been curled over onto the grave site and stared in disbelief at what I was witnessing.  I could see every tombstone clearly.  The world was almost like mid day - with a slight haze and deep colour of blue casting a shadow on everything.  I turned to see the source of the light and found the moon, beaming down on me full and bright - the clouds having just separated to let it shine through.  I could no longer cry.  It all left me at that one moment.  All the sadness. All the disappointment. I had to smile.  I nearly laughed aloud. Nelia was watching over me and the moon saw to it that the world around me was made clear.  "Thank you", I whispered.  Nelia was there of course, of that I have no doubt. She was telling me it was okay, that it was all going to be okay.  I spoke awhile longer, promising her that I would look after James, Brendan and Greg - that I'd look into how they were and make sure they knew that it was okay... not that it will be easy, it will not.  But it will be okay.  She gave me the hope I was looking for, or rather, demanding - and I hope by sharing this story, it will give you that hope too.  xo.


1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    This is beautiful. I am not surprised that Nelia found a gentle way to fulfill the wish you had in your first blog...OK, it was the moon, not the stars...others have felt signs of her presence and peace.

    GB

    ReplyDelete